Monday, September 3, 2012

minimalism.

I forget sometimes, but I try to keep life simple. Not just in the extreme, own-two-pairs-of-jeans minimalistic way, but in every way! Home, things for baby, vehicles, food, technology, decor, etc. Trying to simplify in these areas helps us have time to "slow down and focus on the things that matter most" (President Uchtdorf). Ever since that talk in General Conference a few years ago, I have really been working on it. The tornado helped us realize how much we don't need and literally got rid of a few things for us!. Jude has less than ten "toys." He would much rather play with pots, pans, cookbooks, papers, curtain rods... anything and everything. Our living room is very clean and simple and has no TV! Yay! We keep it in our room and just use to watch an episode of Andy Griffith a couple nights a week and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, or a similar flick, on Sundays. We don't watch any TV other than The Andy Griffith Show. Isn't that the best?! My life is lovely without any blaring commercials and ridiculously inappropriate shows and movies (pretty much everything made in the past 20 years). Jude has no electronic or plug-in toys. We went over to a friend's house to play and they had electric toys and it was so funny to watch the bewilderment in his face. I love that he uses his imagination so much to play. He explores the house and finds amusement in everything around him and loves being outside more than anything! When he gets older I know he will love playing outside all the time and will not miss the video games, movies, and light-up, talking toys.

This post was inspired by my friend, Jessica, who was inspired by the Minimalist Mom... I respect her brave endeavors!

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post! Really! We also live minimalist lifestyles and lately I've been getting a lot of annoying judgement from it - like my home teacher saying we need to make our home more like a home and hang up more pictures...the nerve! So I've almost been tempted to add more "stuff" to our life just so people stop feeling sorry for us for CHOOSING to live with less. Lame huh? Anyway, this post made me remember that I love minimalism :]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, people are really funny about it! We know the better way. :)

      Delete
  2. Loved this! I need to have a life purge. Thanks for the pick me up :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are amazing and inspirational! You go girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. there are few things i hate more than electronic toys. i wish we could get rid of tv but i LOVE sports. i would struggle without football and basketball (not to mention my husband!), but we don't have cable and james is NOT allowed to watch tv till he's two anyway.

    ReplyDelete