Tuesday, June 24, 2014

A new lease... on life!

I know the title is cheesy, but sometimes you just have to embrace it. We are all moved into our new place and thoroughly loving it. The grass really is greener over here! We are grateful to have all the space we need and more (a garage and an attic!), a little backyard for Jude with lots of windows so I can watch him while he plays, a washer and dryer located so conveniently a few steps from the bedrooms, and a spacious kitchen that is just asking to be cooked in.

We absolutely LOVE it here! Not to mention, we literally live on the same street as four of our good friends. It's a little slice of heaven!



Around the same time we moved, we completely overhauled the way we eat. It is liberating and invigorating. Up until this point, I was the poster child of "picky-eater." To me, a salad was lettuce and ranch and I rarely ate them at all. I "didn't like" tomatoes, avocados, peppers, cucumbers, sweet potatoes, and the list went on. Through many factors but especially a book referral from a friend ("Super Nutrition for Babies"), and in doing my own research while studying things about Jude's situation and allergies in general, I have changed. It is definitely not something that can happen overnight and I feel like for me, it's taken years of slowly shaping me to where I am now ready to change how I eat and how I look at food. And let me tell you... it feels good. It feels good to enjoy a salad and a sweet potato for dinner and not be craving my next dose of Bluebell. I have no intention or desire to stop eating ice cream or chocolate, I just need to be in control of it as opposed to it controlling me! I used to feel intimated by making a good, healthy dinner or salad but it is now not just doable but empowering! 

Dan has been training to dunk with a friend and is so active and healthy and it is definitely rubbing off on me, too! I went running with a friend last night and we are going to make it a habit! 

Real food is incredible. It has the potential to enable our bodies to do so much more. We are really doing a disservice to ourselves when we eat poorly.

There has been a lot going on over here, some good and some bad, and I can't share it all, but I can share this!

My sweet mama and papa bears came out to visit and we had a lovely time with them. The highlight, for me, was an afternoon at the La Cantera Resort pool with my dear little family. That place takes the cake. I went down the slide and felt like a kid again. We were just swimming and jumping and splashing and life in that moment was absolutely perfect. They say money can't buy happiness, but access to the La Cantera pool sure wouldn't hurt. Did I mention there was a fire pit right by the pool with ALL YOU CAN EAT SMORES?! You heard right. It was a dream come true for this little lady. Whew. They know how to party.


Abraham enjoyed his first swim. He really seemed to enjoy it. And Jude was just a little fish. He is so comfortable in the water and loved going down the slide and even went through the waterfall! He loved the beach-like entry and would just run in and out. All while Mimi and Papa chaperoned on the lounge chairs. Seriously, this day was heaven!

So... Cheers. To healthy eating, to summer, to loving life, and to s'mores!







No comments:

Post a Comment