Saturday, April 13, 2013

"Be happy. This is your life."

That quote used to be my quote on my Facebook page... Lately I've been needing to take my own advice! Life has been so unpredictable for us. It has been a very long and ever-changing road. As soon as we think we've "figured it out" and we know what we're doing, our plan quickly no longer becomes a plan and we are back to square one. I frequently ponder what lessons my wise Father in Heaven wants me to learn from all this.


One of them is to be happy now. Even if you are making no money or you still don't have that degree or you are ten pounds overweight or your house is anything but blogworthy or you have relationships that a little rocky. I have heard this cliche quote a hundred times, but as I recently read it in the book "Heaven and Back" by Dr. Mary Neal (highly recommended), it left a hankering on my heart.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain."


I heard myself tellin gothers, "I'll just be happy when we find out where we're going...". I was essentially saying, "I'm no thappy now, but I will be when _____." That is a dangerous place to be. Happiness comes from within. Not from Birmingham, AL or San Antonio, TX.


As we find this happiness, we can also find peace. As we learn to let the Savior deep into our hearts, center our lives on serving and loving others, and focus on what matters most, we can find peace regardless of our circumstances. I have a sure knowledge of my purpose here on this Earth, that I am a daughter of a loving Father in heaven who knows me and wants my happiness, and that I can be with my family forever and dwell with Heavenly Father and Jesus. These truths, if I let them, should cause "happiness" seep out of every pore of my body.


At times I find myself in a frenzy of this's and that's that seem so very important. I found myself unconsciously comparing my life to others. This blog world is a very interesting community. It brings great support and continuing of friendships but it can also be dangerous. We may find ourselves comparing our lives to others when all we can see is a small slice of their life, usually their most sparkly and delicious-looking slice. Can we all commit to loving our much-nicer-and-prettier-than-we-think selves, our cute, imperfect husbands who may not always know how to eloquently express themselves in our love language, our beautiful children who don't sleep as long as we wish they would or eat as many organic non-GMO's as they probably should, our unorganized home that we doesn't have one DIY'ed piece of furniture in sight, our hair that is not currently in a "Braid Wrapped Chignon," and the fact that we do not own a coral-colored tulle skirt and probably never will? 


I am blessed beyond any comprehension and if I can't be "happy" now, when will I be? What matters is that I sincerely enjoy being with my son and husband every day, that I love them with life and passion, and that  I try to strengthen my relationship with my Heavenly Father and Savior. If I can really learn to do that every day, everything else will be okay. Let's chose to see the good in our days. There's a lot to be seen!


I am happy now. I am thankful for my mind and my Spirit and my spiritual inclinations that cause me to ponder and try to better my life and the life of my family. I am thankful for these hard times because I'm learning a lot!



7 comments:

  1. you're the best.
    i still have that quote on my fb :)
    you got this girl. you ARE the best. don't forget it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just listening to the first talk from Saturday afternoon confernce again (I think elder Scott) and these same thoughts were mulling around in my head.

    Ah I often think of the wonderful times we all had in Tuscaloosa and how happy and care free we all were! Always brings a smile to my face

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are so inspiring! i wish we could hang out. because for real-so much in common. i'm constantly saying "i'll be happy once garrett graduates and we can finally have a real job with a real income." but wasn't it just 5 years ago that i was saying "i'll be happy once i'm married?" and didn't i always say in high school "i'll be happy once i'm in college." i've wasted a lot of time looking forward to future happiness when there's plenty to be happy about right now. thanks for putting things back into perspective for me! i'm glad we're bloggy pals. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being a creeper...I found your blog via Nicki Dunn's...I know we met at BYUI but that was a long time ago so you probably don't remember! (My name is Shey, I'm a blonde, Nicki and I were friends in high school....ya...anyhow) But I just wanted to tell you thanks for this post that I was a creeper and found and read. It was helpful to me. Baby boy is adorable. You are so right, if we aren't happy now when will we be...there's so much to be happy for & about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "WOW" All I can say is that you have captured "IT"...the ingredient to enjoying the journey of this life and all that we are to learn. As daddy and I spent a lot of time this past weekend in Salt Lake at the Daughters of the Utah Pioneers Museum and the Salt Lake City Cemetry, being humbled by the inconceivable sacrifices of the Pioneers simply...for their faith...as they buried babies, husbands, wives and just kept walking forward, I can't help but believe that we all will, must, have that same opportunity. You are walking forward with your faith our dear Rachael, just as those pioneers of old, and enjoying the journey truly is the essence of it all.

    You never disappoint Rachael...you simply inspire daddy and I as you move forward with faith and happiness on your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this post. I've been thinking about this a lot lately. I'm horrible at comparing myself to others. For example you sometimes :) You look like you're always so happy and doing so many fun things. I also do the "I'll be happy when..." thing. I've been trying to tell myself that if I'm not happy now I won't be later. It doesn't matter what you have, it matters who you are.

    You're awesome rach. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the reminder! And holy cow, your hair is getting long!

    ReplyDelete